Memo – If You Will Not Have Full Year Health Coverage in 2017, Read This Memo Now

The current law dictates that taxpayers who do not have (MEC) Minimum Essential (Health) Coverage, may have to pay a penalty when filing their tax returns.

MEC is any insurance plan that meets the Affordable Care Act requirement for having health coverage. To avoid the penalty for not having insurance you must be enrolled in a plan that qualifies as minimum essential coverage (sometimes called “qualifying health coverage”). Examples of plans that qualify include: Marketplace plans; job-based plans; Medicare; and Medicaid & CHIP.

If you will have been covered with MEC for the entire year of 2017, then you should have nothing to worry about.

If you have had no health insurance coverage, or any gaps in your 2017 coverage, you will need to report that on your tax return and calculate the penalty.

Also, if you have received Obamacare Subsidies, remember these need to be reconciled when filing your tax returns. If your actual income in 2017 is higher than what your subsidies were originally based on, you may need to pay some of those subsidies back when you file your taxes.

Everyone with health insurance coverage for any part of 2017 should receive a form 1095. It is very important that you include this form with your other tax related documents in the package that you send me to prepare your tax returns.

If you are concerned about your 2017 health insurance coverage and how it may impact your 2017 income taxes, please call me. I will evaluate where you stand and let you know what the consequences may be come tax time. It is better to plan now, then be surprised on April 15!

Click here to request a consultation or ask me a question.

Please reach out to me without hesitation with any tax, business or

accounting question, and to schedule a consultation.

Tax Laws are complex.

It is very easy to make mistakes that can incur penalties.

Do you have a Tax, Accounting or Business Question?

Call Me Immediately. (732) 673-0510.

Is your CPA or Attorney

ignoring your Phone Calls and Emails?

Call Me Immediately. (732) 673-0510.


“If We Aren’t Working For You, Then You Aren’t Working At Your Best”

Chris Whalen, CPA
(732) 673-0510
79 Oak Hill Road
Red Bank, NJ 07701



Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About the Author:

I’m Chris Whalen, CPA. For over twenty-five years I have been the owner and Managing Member of a Certified Public Accounting and Business Advisory firm providing a full range of income tax, accounting and advisory services for individuals and businesses. I am licensed in all states and serve clients throughout the country but extensively in Red Bank, Middletown, Rumson, Colts Neck, Holmdel, Monmouth County and Ocean County.