Still Not Filed Your 2016 Taxes? Time is Running Out! October 15th Is Quickly Approaching!

Memo - Tax Filing Procrastinators (2)

The last day to file your 2016 tax returns on time is October 15!

If you have a history of tax filing procrastination and have not filed your 2016 tax returns yet, call me immediately for

CPA Therapy Sessions.

If you haven’t filed yet, it’s a mistake to do nothing and hope the tax authorities look the other way. The IRS has gone after more than $30 billion in back taxes, penalties, and interest from delinquent taxpayers in the past two fiscal years.

Haven’t filed in a few years? We specialize in prior year filings. 

“The amount you owe will only grow larger if you procrastinate,” says Chris Whalen, CPA. “If you ignore your tax bill entirely, not only will interest and penalties accrue, but the IRS may go after your assets and wages as well.”

Here are five things you can do to get back on track with the IRS.

1. File a tax return, even if you can’t pay the money you owe. At least you’ll minimize the $195 per month failure-to-file penalty assessed by the IRS, even if you get hit by failure-to-pay penalties and interest. Burying your head in the sand could boost your tax bill by 25 percent or more by the time the authorities catch up with you. And it’s particularly crucial to file if you’re self-employed, he says, since you won’t get Social Security credits toward your retirement if you don’t report self-employment income within three years of the due date.

2. Pay as much of your tax liability as you can when you file your return. Then wait for the IRS to send you a bill for the remainder. This typically takes about 45 days, so save up during that time and again pay as much of the outstanding amount as you can. “By following this process, you can buy yourself some time,” Foss says, though you will still be accruing penalties and interest on your unpaid tax balance. The IRS sets up some limited installment agreements that allow taxpayers to make monthly payments. If you owe both state and federal taxes, it’s best to pay your state taxes and then try to negotiate a payment plan or settlement with the feds to avoid dealing with two agencies at once.

3. Borrow money to pay your bill. “By paying the bill in full, you’ll be able to avoid IRS penalties and interest. And you may not have to pay interest” if you can get a loan from a relative or friend. But even if you do have to pay interest on a loan, it will probably be less than the interest and penalties charged on unpaid tax. Alternatively, the IRS allows payments by credit card. This isn’t a good option if you can’t pay down high-interest credit card debt quickly, but you will avoid interest and penalties assessed by the IRS.

4. If you owe a lot of money, typically over several years, and don’t have the ability to pay, you can propose an “offer in compromise.” This is a negotiated settlement between you and the IRS where you may be able to pay less than the full amount you owe and still settle your bill. There’s a nonrefundable application fee to have your offer considered, and there’s a lot of paperwork, including various IRS forms, financial statements, pay stubs, and bank records. But if you’re successful, you will avoid severe collection actions, such as tax liens or garnished wages.

5. Figure out where you’re doing wrong and make changes so you won’t be in this position a year from now. If you’re self-employed, look into whether you should make quarterly tax payments throughout the year so you won’t end up with a large bill next April. If your spouse is employed, investigate adjusting his or her paycheck deductions. You’ll get less take-home pay that way, but you’re much less likely to owe a big chunk at tax time. And wouldn’t it be a relief to get a refund next year?

Click here to read what our clients say about us —> Chris Whalen, CPA Reviews

Click here to request a consultation or ask me a question.

Please reach out to me without hesitation with any tax, business or

accounting question, and to schedule a consultation.

Tax Laws are complex.

It is very easy to make mistakes that can incur penalties.

Do you have a Tax, Accounting or Business Question?

Call Me Immediately. (732) 673-0510.

Is your CPA or Attorney

ignoring your Phone Calls and Emails?

Call Me Immediately. (732) 673-0510.


“If We Aren’t Working For You, Then You Aren’t Working At Your Best”

Chris Whalen, CPA
(732) 673-0510
79 Oak Hill Road
Red Bank, NJ 07701


#IRS #IRSTaxTip #cpa #1040 #taxes #procrastination

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About the Author:

I’m Chris Whalen, CPA. For over twenty-five years I have been the owner and Managing Member of a Certified Public Accounting and Business Advisory firm providing a full range of income tax, accounting and advisory services for individuals and businesses. I am licensed in all states and serve clients throughout the country but extensively in Red Bank, Middletown, Rumson, Colts Neck, Holmdel, Monmouth County and Ocean County.